Pages

Thursday, August 15, 2013

New Over Old



The other day I decided to paint over an old acrylic painting I did years ago of Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz   (1651 – 1695).

Sor (Sister) Juana was one of the, greatest poets, dramatists, and essayists of Spain's Golden Age. She was also a nun. She often ran afoul of the male clergy in New Spain where she lived (the former name of Mexico.) They didn't like her writing, her intellect, and what they considered her unfeminine behavior.

I wanted to use the support the acrylic painting was on for a new cold wax piece. I was never crazy about the acrylic painting, though I like some of the other pieces I did of Sor Juana. Though I decided to cover up the acrylic painting, I wanted the new one to also be in honor of Sor Juana. I named it "La Respuesta", or The Answer, after her written response to vicious criticism from the clergy.




I'm happy with how the painting came out. I didn't plan it, but kept Sor Juana in the back of my mind and in my heart while I worked.

3 comments:

pandamonion said...

wonderful!

pandamonion said...

wonderful

Doreen said...

Looking forward to your wabi-sabi paper class.