Pages

Saturday, November 1, 2008

In Which I Take Pictures of an Assemblage and My Partner Begins NaNoWriMo

Outside lid of assemblage: "What We Found Backstage"


Thought I'd share these photographs of one of my assemblages. I made it last year, but have just gotten around to taking pictures of it. The assemblage is called, "What We Found Backstage." The inspirations were my past life as a (mostly amateur) actor and my love for the theater.

Back in the 80's an movie theater that was an opera and vaudeville theater in the old days was remodeled in Salem. Before the remodeling commenced, some lucky folks got to go back to the old dressing rooms and found a kind of time capsule. This story also inspired my piece.



Open Assemblage Box


Large Detail of Assemblage


If you noticed the title of this post you may be wondering what NaNoWriMo is. It is an exciting kind of collective madness, perhaps akin to the dancing frenzies of the Middle Ages. The idea is to write a novel in a month. No big deal, right? What??

As of yesterday, there were 90,000 would-be novel writers registered and more were being added. The event began last night at midnight. My partner was one of those who gathered at a local cafe to begin writing at the stroke of 12:01. Yesterday I found out that my adult son has also pledged to participate in this divine insanity. I am so proud of both of them!

To explain further, the novel does not have to be a good one. The goal is to just complete all 50, 000 words in a month. That will produce a novel about the size of John Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath.

The founder of this communal craziness, Chris Baty, has a book out that tells all you need to know about participating. His book is called No Plot, No Problem. It's hilarious and inspiring--made me want to try NaNoWriMo someday.

To read more about my partner's participation, check out her site. Maybe my son Ian's partner, Ruby, and I should form a NaNoWriMo widows support group...

No comments: