Pages

Friday, May 7, 2010

OMG: Golden Oldies



A Celestial Theme circa 1993


I've been lolling around a lot the last two weeks due to my having caught the LP version of the cold that's going around. It's a terrible thing to feel too sick to make art or go look at it! Tonight while I was surfing the net and despairing of my messy desk, my eyes fell on a stack of old photos that had surfaced while I was looking for envelopes.

So, I may regret it, but I'll try to entertain you with some of my Very Early Work. My visual art career began with painting on home-made muslin pillows. I used fabric paint and was very proud when I managed to produce something identifiable.

The pillow below was done in 1992. It was one of my favorites at the time.


She's Always in the Garden (large detail)



Can't remember the name of this one from 1994



This is from '93 or so...I still kinda like it.



One of my first paintings in acrylic on canvas,
done in 1995 after my first trip to Italy.



It's interesting looking at this old work. I can see my growth as an artist, technically and conceptually, while at the same time I love remembering the magic of starting to make art. I can see the liveliness and joy I put into these pieces. Now, many years later, I want to recapture that feeling more often in my work. As art becomes a career there are so many temptations and pressures that can stifle joy and spontaneity. This is where play is so important. And getting out and seeing things.

Tomorrow I'm going to go out and See, whether I feel good or not. Tomorrow evening I'll spend time with my grandson which is some of the best magic I know.

No comments: