Pages

Monday, July 26, 2010

Boating in the moonlight




Sunday night we celebrated my son Ian's birthday by taking him and his fiancee, Ruby, on a "Moonlight Paddle" on River Lake, a tributary of the Columbia. Despite all my stepfamily and my partner being avid kayakers, I had not even stepped into one before! It's never too late, and I had a wonderful time. Can't wait to go again. The event was put on by Ridgefield Kayak who did a wonderful job.

I don't have any photos yet, but the "Wabi-Sabi" piece below is an impression of how I felt as we paddled in the light from the full moon with small lights clamped onto the back of each boat. We paddled up to a beach where we picnicked and roasted marshmallows. The area where we were was once home to about 900 Native Americans. It must have been so incredible then...


Moonlight Flit



I made above piece by pouring on self-leveling gel medium, troweling in extra heavy medium and letting the piece dry. Then I added re-inkers and acrylic paint. The colors wouldn't come out right in the photo, but it gives you an idea.


I've been making Wabi-Sabi samples like mad for my upcoming teaching at Art Unraveled. Below is one of my favorites.



Big Love

(Re-inkers, acrylic paint, acrylic medium)


1 comment:

Jessica said...

A moonlight paddle sounds like a great birthday celebration. ... As always, I love these wabi sabi pieces of yours. :-)